This field of medicine is a complex medical discipline exclusively performed by doctors who have spent at least 14 years studying medicine, dentistry, stomatology, and surgery. Maxillofacial surgeons treat various conditions such as:
- Facial traumas.
- Reconstructive surgeries of the face, which are performed by using grafts, skin flaps or prosthesis.
- Cosmetic facial surgeries involving eyelids nose, cheekbones, lips, chin, ears, neck, etc.
- Facial dysmorphosis related to the position of the chin, such as prognathism and retrognathia (also known as orthognathic surgery).
- Congenital disorders, including cleft lip and palate or craniofacial malformations surgeries.
- Pathologies of the oral mucosa.
- Pathologies of the salivary glands.
- Benign tumors, oral cavity, head and neck cancers.
- Facial infections, especially those of dental origin.
- Dental implant and pre-implant surgery and bone augmentation.
- TTemporomandibular joint disorders.